Every year our Elf on the Shelf returns to our house the day after Thanksgiving. Usually our Elf just hides in different places and is not mischievous like so many of his friends. This year he may be a little different since he went into our refrigerator and created You’ve Been Elfed bags with our cracker candy. The same candy my daughter made for fairy treat at her school.
Since some of the Elves seem to have been sharing ideas this year, your family may end up with a You’ve Been Elfed treat. Here is the recipe for cracker candy in case you would like your Elf to raid your refrigerator and give your kids a treat they will love. Our cracker candy ended up at several friend’s and cousins’ homes. I wonder what else he plans to do this holiday season!
Even if you do not have an Elf, you will enjoy making this cracker candy. I am sure we will be making it again especially since the Elf took our extra pieces.. My kids loved helping with this holiday treat.
1) Line your baking pan with aluminum foil. I add parchment on top so the food does not cook directly on the foil. Place saltine crackers on the pan.
2) Melt the butter and brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil for 3 minutes.
3) Pour the butter sauce over the crackers. Cover them well. Place in preheated oven.
4) Bake in the 400 degree oven for 5 to 6 minutes. They will be light brown and bubbling.
5) Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and let melt. Evenly spread the chocolate over the crackers. Add chopped nuts if you wish. Cool and place in the refrigerator to harden.
6) Break the candy into pieces and serve or place in bags to give for fairy treat or the holidays. Freeze if you do not plan to eat them in the next few days.
Kids cannot resist this cracker candy. Enjoy!
I found the link our Elf used to print the poem. http://www.scribd.com/doc/44258252/Free-Elfed-Printable-Door-Sign-and-Instructions
Note: The original recipe for the cracker candy is called Saltine Toffee.