Someone asked me how to incorporate vegetables into the breads or sweets and zucchini bread is a easy way to get two cups of fresh zucchini in your kids and they have no idea they are eating their greens. They really cannot taste the zucchini and will keep asking for more.
I keep a loaf in the freezer for after school snacks or play dates. It is an easy snack to pack for work too. The bread takes about 15 minutes to thaw and you can always toast a slice with some honey or a little butter.
The original recipe calls for eggs and you can make it with 3 eggs instead of the egg replacer. I had to make an eggless bread since our pumpkin bread had eggs this time.
To make this even more healthy, use coconut oil and hazelnut flour. There is plenty of cinnamon in the recipe for flavor and all the brain boosting effects. Use coconut palm sugar if you have it. I used cane sugar this time but will try the coconut palm for the next loaf.
1) Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Peel and grate the zucchini until you have 2 cups. I used two and a half zucchini. Place the raw zucchini in a colander and let drain.
2) Add 4.5 teaspoons of egg replacer and 6 tablespoons of warm water. Beat well until the mixture looks like whipped egg whites. I recommend EnerG for the egg replacer. If you are using eggs, beat 3 eggs.
3) Add 1 cup of coconut oil, 2 cups of sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract to the egg replacer or eggs. Mix well.
4) Add the raw zucchini to the batter. Then add the 2.5 cups of all purpose unbleached flour, 1/2 cup of hazelnut flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 3 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon baking powder. Mix well.
5) Pour into a greased 9 x 5 x 3 pan. I use coconut oil to grease the pan. Bake for 1 hour at 325 degrees.
6) Serve warm or freeze for another day. This bread freezes very well. Enjoy!
Why you want to Eat this!
- Weight management due to the fiber, water and low-calorie content
- Vitamin A for eye, skin and lung health
- Vitamin C to boost your immune system and prevent cellular damage due to toxins
- Potassium for blood pressure and muscle health
- B1 and B6 for energy