Are you looking for heathy sides to serve for dinner or veggies to pack for lunches? These roasted carrots are simple to make and absolutely delicious. Make more than you think because everyone will eat them. My son said he could see in the dark since he ate so many of them.
I prefer them with a little crunch on the edges but tender in the middle. Make sure the garlic gets coated in oil or they may burn on top. Try to buy organic ones without any cracks. I recommend leaving the peel on the organic carrots since you loose some of the nutrients when you remove the thin skin.
1) Cut the carrots lengthwise and place in a large baking pan. If they are under 1/2″ in thickness, you do not slice them. Mince 1 garlic clove and sprinkle over the carrots. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive or coconut oil and 1 to 2 tablespoons of maple syrup or local honey over the carrots. (Taste the carrots to see how sweet they are to determine how much honey or syrup you need.) Add 1 teaspoon or more of Back to Organic Cumin Lime French Grey Salt. If you do not have the seasoning, then add a little ground cumin, ground paprika, fresh oregano, black pepper, and a high quality sea salt like French Grey or Celtic. Make sure you coat the carrots with the rub.
2) Bake at 375 for 40 minutes until tender. If you are short on time, cook at 400 degrees on convection for 30 minutes.
Why You Want to Eat This!
- Carrots are rich in vitamin A and K. They are a good source of fiber, vitamin C, potassium, manganese,B6, and several other nutrients and antioxidants. Carrots are believed to have cardiovascular benefits, may improve your vision, and protect you from certain types of cancer including colon cancer. “Carrots are related to parsnips, fennel, parsley, anise, caraway, cumin and dill.”
- Honey especially local honey can help with sinus issues due to allergies. Honey is a natural anti-bacterial and can heal the skin. It may boost your immune system and give you energy. There are many home remedies to cure your ailments with honey.
- Garlic adds so much flavor as well as many health benefits. It is a natural anti-inflammatory, has antiviral and anti-bacterial benefits, lowers blood pressure, and improves your cardiovascular system as well as iron metabolism. Cumin and garlic work well together.
- Cumin can boost your metabolism and immune system, improve digestion, and give you energy. The seed is rich in antioxidants and iron which may help women at certain times of the month. Many people say they are deficient in iron and feel run down; 1 teaspoon of cumin will give you 15.5% of the daily recommended value.
Cumin Lime French Grey Sea Salt is made with Hand-harvested French Grey, Fresh Oregano, Cumin, Paprika, Garlic, Black Pepper, and Lime Zest. The Cumin Lime rub completes your dishes with Chicken, Pork, Beans, Okra, Fall Root Vegetables like Squash and Carrots, Chickpeas, and dips like Hummus. I highly recommend this seasoning in gumbo, tomato stews, squash soups and side dishes, and even grilled cheese. Kids love the flavor of cumin especially on fish.
Note: You can purchase the Cumin Lime French grey salt online at Salt Provisions, or visit one of the many retail locations carrying Back to Organic salts.