Coconut oil is incredibly good for you. Some say it boosts your brain power and has anti-aging effects on the body. I think you look younger because the water hydrates your skin and the hormones called cytokinins slow down the aging of your cells.
Modern science is confirming coconuts help your body fight illness and inflammation, lowers heart disease by improving your good cholesterol, supports tissue healing, and hydrates your body by replenishing your electrolytes. It is called the tree of life on the islands. I drink coconut water two to three times a week and love it.
This pumpkin bread is vegan and gluten free and of course, it has coconut oil. I added cocoa to one of the loaves for the antioxidants and well, the chocolate!
1) Add 1 and half 15 oz cans of organic pumpkin, 1 cup unsweetened organic applesauce, 2 teaspoons baking powder (aluminum free is better), 1 cup of coconut oil and blend until smooth.
2) Add 2 1/2 cups gluten free flour, 1 cup hazelnut flour, 3 cups cane or palm coconut sugar, 3/4 teaspoon baking soda, 1 1/2 teaspoons allspice, 1 1/2 freshly grated nutmeg, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 1/2 sea salt. I added some hazelnuts for extra crunch.
3) Fold the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture. I poured the dough into one loaf and then added 1 tablespoon organic cacao powder for the other loaf. Make sure the powder is thoroughly mixed. Pour the dough into the second loaf pan.
I have found ceramic stoneware dishes from Paris make the best breads. These loaf pans are from Emile Henry. They are a gorgeous cranberry color and really make the bread taste better.
4) Bake at 300 degrees for 70 to 80 minutes. This is a very moist bread and takes a while to cook. Make sure you stick a knife in to the middle of the loaf and it comes out clean. I have a hard time judging when it is done by looking at it. Being eggless changes so much about the texture.
5) Let cool and then pop them out and serve. These freeze well too if you want to save the second loaf for later. Enjoy!
Why You Want to Eat This!
- Anti-inflammatory properties in the beta-carotene to help with joint inflammation and arthritis. May help back pain.
- Vitamin A,C and E may make your skin glow and reduce wrinkles.
- High carotenoid content which fights free radicals in the body to prevent cancer and premature aging.
- The luteirn and Zeaxanthin protects the eyes and tissues to prevent cataracts and degeneration.
- Vitamin A- boost your immune system
- Potassium- prevent cardiovascular disease and hypertension
- Zinc- bone density for osteoporosis, immune and reproductive health
- Magnesium- relaxes the body and muscles, helps process calcium
- Phytosterols can lower risk of prostate cancer.
- May prevent kidney stones
- L-tryptophan has a chemical compound that makes you happy!
- Cinnamon is an excellent source of manganese and fiber. It also has potassium, calcium, iron, zinc and magnesium. Cinnamon may help the body regulate blood sugar levels and can be beneficial in high carb foods liked baked breads. The spice helps the body respond to insulin so it may be helpful for individuals with type 2 diabetes.
- Cinnamon may be good for individuals with platelet issues or at risk for stroke or heart attacks since Cinnamaldehyde prevents platelets from clogging in the blood vessels.
- The smell is invigorating and may help adults and children focus and improve brain activity. ?Research led by Dr. P. Zoladz and presented April 24, 2004, at the annual meeting of the Association for Chemoreception Sciences, in Sarasota, FL, found that chewing cinnamon flavored gum or just smelling cinnamon enhanced study participants? cognitive processing. Specifically, cinnamon improved participants? scores on tasks related to attentional processes, virtual recognition memory, working memory, and visual-motor speed while working on a computer-based program.? read more
- May help with blood sugar issues and diabetes
- Weight loss
- Bone Health by improving calcium and magnesium absorption and the increased “calcium and magnesium absorption are of great benefit to middle-aged women who may become afflicted with osteoporosis.”
- May improve your memory. There are many studies looking into coconut oil and possible improvement of symptoms with Alzheimer’s patients.
read more on Dr. Oz and Natural News